Understanding brake components

Getting Your Hands Dirty with a Car Service

Keeping your car in good working order entails more than just taking it in for routine maintenance and having the brakes checked. To understand everything your mechanic says, you must first understand how your vehicle works. The brakes, in particular, are quite complex. Still, once you’ve become acquainted with the essential car brake components, you’ll find it easier to understand what your mechanic tells you during maintenance or repair appointments.

Pads and rotors

Brake rotors are car brake components attached to each wheel on your vehicle. These are steel discs and hubs on which the brake pads rest and grip the surface. The pads are made of metal with semi-metallic overlays. When you press on the brake pedal, these two car brake components work together to stop your wheels from rotating, causing the pads to stop the rotor.


Brake callipers are essential car brake components of your vehicle’s hydraulic braking system. They are the housings that sit on top of the brake rotors and hold the brake pads. When you apply the brakes, the hydraulic piston in the calliper extends and squeezes the brake pads together against the brake rotor, slowing or stopping the vehicle.

Brake lines and master cylinder

In your car, the master cylinder is in charge of transferring hydraulic pressure from the reservoir to the brake calliper at the wheel. Brake lines are braided steel or rubber hoses that run throughout the vehicle and connect the master cylinder to each individual brake calliper.

Wear indicator

A brake wear indicator is a car brake component that alerts you when your brake pads need to be replaced. Many modern wear indicators include a sensor or metal body that makes contact with the rotor and causes a warning light to illuminate your dashboard. When this light appears, you should replace the brake pads.

Proportioning valve

The proportioning valve is usually found near the brake master cylinder. It aids in the proper distribution of hydraulic pressure to the front and rear brakes, respectively. Because the front of the vehicle is heavier, carrying the engine requires approximately 60% of the available hydraulic pressure, with the remaining 40% applied to the rear.

ABS module

The ABS module, also known as the ABS control module, reads data from your ABS speed sensors. It then uses this information to send the appropriate amount of pressure to each wheel, reducing the risk of sliding and skidding by preventing the brakes from locking up the wheels.

Contact AHK Motor Spares for details

AHK Motor Spares offers the highest quality car brake components to solve our clients’ challenges. We have a network of branches across Gauteng and the Western Cape, which makes finding the right car brake components when you need them quickly. So get in touch with our team today for everything you need.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Contact Us

COVID-19 Update